Sunday, November 25

Winter's Arrival


Wednesday was likely the last time we'll see 60 degrees this year, and I was lucky enough to get out for a solo ride along the MN River.  I left the house a little after 8am and was treated to the low morning sun hitting the trees along one of my favorite sections of trail...


It was a great ride, and I'm sure I'll soon miss the warm weather, but I'm looking forward to winter.

Winter arrived in a hurry on Thursday... the day started with sunny skies and temps in the upper 50s, but by the end of the day we had temps in the 20s, blustery winds, and snow.  We ended up with just a dusting of snow, but it was good to see.  My ideal winter would have consistent snow cover, cold enough temps to keep the creek frozen, but not too many days with extreme cold.  We'll most likely see snow storms and cold temps, but the key will be the length and magnitude of the warm stretches.

I got out for my first wintery ride on Saturday, and it felt good to be out in the cold.  Temps were in the teens and 20s and most importantly, the winds were light.  I was able to stay warm enough the entire ride, but was a bit over-dressed.  The colder temps kept me from taking many pics, but here's my favorite of the day...


I ride flat pedals and hiking shoes in the winter and my current set-up does well as long as the temps aren't below about 15 degrees and there isn't much snow.  One thing I'm considering is a pair of taller, insulated boots that will still pedal well.  In my limited research it's looking like the Keen winter boots are a top contender.  If anyone has a recommendation for a (non-clipless) winter boot that performs well for biking, I'd like to hear 'em...  

4 comments:

Will said...

Not sure what exactly you're looking for in boots but I have these and I like them.

Jay Cob said...

Anything meant for snow shoeing will be a good bet. They will breathe well and keep your feet warm, but they will not be great for standing around. Vasque and Solomon make great boots. Also you might check out Irish Setter boots, they are designed for hunting but I have had a pair I have used for everything for about 6 winters now and they are still kicking ass. They keep my feet super warm and dry, they are fairly light and they do well when on the move or standing still.

FTMN said...

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Bil Thorne said...

My saloman toundras have a stiff sole, are light weight, have a reflective heel, large toe box, and are waterproof up past the ankle. They have aerogel in there somewhere too. Love em.