A few random bike related things...
- I recently added a rear rack to my All-Rounder Fargo, and after a lot of searching I ended up choosing a Civia Market Rear rack (formerly called the Hyland rack). I like the look of the rack, the solid mounting brackets, and the fact that it allows me to run panniers further back than most racks. With size 14/15 feet, even a couple inches of additional heel clearance is a good thing.
At $50 the Civia Market rack is half the price of some other racks out there. Granted it won't hold huge panniers as solidly as some racks, but I'm not planning a tour anytime soon. My pannier use is limited to running errands and carrying small loads... and my small panniers on the Market rack work just fine.
- I ordered a new rear tire for the Fat Front Fargo today... a Geax Saguaro 29 x 2.2. After a fair amount of research, these tires look to be a good balance of reasonable price, durability, and performance. The Saguaro is lighter than the Kenda Nevegal that's on the bike now, plus it has a bit more volume. While the Nevegal probably has more bite, the Geax should roll faster.
- Yesterday I played bike polo for the first time since my crash (and broken hand) last August, and I have to say my polo playing days are over. My hand is still sore from playing just 3 games yesterday. I think it simply puts too much pressure on my hand. Swinging and leaning on the mallet, combined with the adrenaline rush (and therefore not feeling much pain at the time) is tougher on my hand than I had expected. While I enjoy playing polo, riding in general (especially mountain bikes in the woods) is too important for me to risk it.
- Many of you have probably already seen this, but Surly had a great post on their blog yesterday. The post was titled "Some Answers to Just About Any Bike Forum Post I've Ever Seen". Here are some of my favorites...
"If you think your bike looks good, it does."
"If you like the way your bike rides, it's an awesome bike."
"The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt."
"It sucks to be harassed by assholes in cars while you're on a bike. It also sucks to drive behind assholes on bikes."
"Wheelies are the best trick ever invented. That's just a fact."
"Yes, you can break your collar bone riding a bike like that."
"The moral of RAGBRAI is that families and drunken boobs can have fun on the same route, just maybe at different times of day."
"Stopping can be as much fun as riding."
Words to live by.
- Surly also teased followers via twitter/facebook that they had a big announcement today. But then... it was delayed. I think the odds are 50/50 on whether they are just messing with people or they actually have a cool new product to announce. There is a lot of speculation that it's a fatter tire and a fatter Pugsley, but who knows. Well some people do, I suppose. Whether it is this weekend, next week, at Eurobike, or at Interbike, I'm confident they'll be releasing something cool at some point.